PHP Software EngineerPermanent, Glasgow
We are seeking a capable software engineer to join our development team and take the next step in their career with us. The role will see the successful candidate join a talented PHP team at Digirati and help to deliver projects and solutions for our customers. It is expected that the candidate will have a 2 - 3 years development experience.
Attitude & Behaviours
Although we are looking for an engineer to join the development team there will be interaction with clients both business and technical so candidates must be good communicators.
You will be willing to travel to client sites on occasion.
Passion for Technology
You will have an interest in how technology works under the hood.
You will be comfortable learning new technologies, languages, tools, processes, skills and domain knowledge.
You will be able to work internally and externally to influence clients and colleagues in the direction of success.
You will naturally take a structured approach to problem solving, be capable of explaining the rationale behind your decisions and precise in your communication.
You will help develop solutions that are robust, reliable and deliver real business value.
You will be pragmatic in your decision making and have an understanding of complexity.
We expect candidates will have experience with a reasonable number of the following and be able to quickly and effectively fill any gaps in their knowledge where required.
- Modern PHP5, including tooling such as PHP Unit and Composer.
- An understanding of common software design patterns.
- Familiar with classic Linux/Unix command line utilities.
- BASH scripting.
- DVCS (Git).
- Detailed and precise understanding of HTTP, HTML, JSON, XML.
- SQL and ORMS.
- Design and maintenance of LAMP like stacks.
- High availability, design and implementation of reliable and robust systems.
- The original Agile principles, Agile ceremonies, processes and jargon.
- Symfony or other dependency injection frameworks.
- Infrastructure as code such as Puppet, Chef.
- Principles, practices and the business case for continuous integration and continuous delivery.
- Scalability, in particular caching, optimising SQL queries and CDNs.
- Experience of Collection Management Systems such as Omeka.
- PHP 7.
- Goal oriented requirements engineering.
- Web accessibility.
- Responsive Web Design.
A degree in a science, engineering, technology or mathematics field or equivalent industry experience.
To apply please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com
Research, Development & Learning (RDL)
Each individual's RDL programme is unique and designed in collaboration with your line manager. You might spend this time doing formal certification, contributing to open source software or evaluating a new technology or mastering a framework you already know.
There is a 10% annual bonus scheme, of which 5% is based on personal performance and 5% on company profitability.
Digirati will match your personal contribution to your pension by up to 5%.
Employees are entitled to a 4 week sabbatical after 5 years with the company which can be amalgamated with annual leave to provide an opportunity to take time out.
Employees will receive a £500 bonus if they refer a fellow employee who successfully completes their probation period.
Working from Home
Employees will spend the majority of their time in the office but there is some scope for working from home at managerial discretion.
Client schedules permitting we can be flexible when employees start and end work.