Senior Java EngineerPermanent, Glasgow
Digirati is a software engineering consultancy that are seeking a capable software engineer to help enhance and further develop our Java practice.
This is an opportunity for a capable, senior engineer with a professional attitude and mature mindset to gain experience with a variety of new technologies, platforms and cloud offerings.
Working within our Business Agility team you will be working using Lean and Agile principles to help deliver digital transformation projects to public and private sector organisations.
Candidate Attitude & Behaviours
Although we are looking for an engineer to join our interdisciplinary agile team, there will be interaction with both business and technical stakeholders, therefore candidates must have good verbal and written communication skills.
You will be willing to travel to client sites on occasion.
Passion for Technology
You will have an interest in how technology works under the hood.
You will be comfortable learning new technologies, languages, tools, processes, skills and domain knowledge.
You will be able to work internally and externally to influence clients and colleagues in the direction of success.
You will naturally take a structured approach to problem solving, be capable of explaining the rationale behind your decisions and be precise in your communication.
You will help develop solutions that are robust, reliable and deliver real business value.
You will be pragmatic in your decision making, capable of balancing trade offs and have an understanding of complexity.
Good interpersonal skills and a desire to collaborate with others.
We expect candidates will have experience with a reasonable number of the following and be able to quickly and effectively fill any gaps with our support. All staff have a structured skills development program in place from the get go.
- Strong background in Java and associated frameworks.
- An understanding of common software design patterns.
- Familiar with classic Linux/Unix tools and utilities.
- Portal systems, with a focus on Liferay DXP.
- Bash scripting.
- DVCS (Git).
- Detailed and precise understanding of HTTP, HTML, JSON, XML.
- SQL and ORMS.
- An understanding of the Scrum framework.
- Cloud offerings, with a focus on AWS.
- RESTful API design.
- Coaching of other team members.
Nice to have
- Dependency and build management tools, including Maven and OSGi.
- Leadership behaviours: communication, ability to consult & influence.
- High availability, design and implementation of reliable and robust systems.
- Infrastructure as code, with a focus on Terraform and containerisation.
- Principles, practices and the business case for continuous integration and continuous delivery.
- Scalability, in particular caching, optimising SQL queries and CDNs.
- UML sequence and state diagrams.
- Linux internal fundamentals & tools e.g. file descriptors, syscalls, strace, perf.
- Build automation including Jenkins, SonarQube and Travis CI.
- Experience with continuous improvement, e.g. Lean/Kaizen, ISO 9001.
A degree in a science, engineering, technology or mathematics field or equivalent industry experience.
To apply please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com
Digirati’s success is down to our talented people. We are a trusted partner of various high profile clients and always strive to deliver projects in an innovative way utilising the latest practices and technologies to continually develop our team’s knowledge and experience. Our focus is on working closely with customers to push the boundaries and develop innovative products and solutions that exceed their expectations.
Digirati are committed to being an equal opportunities employer. There is a particular issue within our industry regarding gender representation, our gender balance is significantly higher than the industry average, we believe this has had a very positive impact on our overall culture.
We have a strong ethos of collaboration and continuous improvement, therefore we invest in our staff to improve skills and share knowledge throughout the organisation. We work with agile at scale, staff work in agile teams and participate in communities of practice according to their interests; this creates a dynamic open working culture that is flat in structure and empowers staff to drive their own work and development.
Research, Development & Learning (RDL)
Each individual's RDL programme is unique and designed in collaboration with your line manager. You might spend this time doing formal certification, contributing to open source software or evaluating a new technology or mastering a framework you already know.
There is a 10% annual bonus scheme, of which 5% is based on personal performance and 5% on company profitability.
Digirati will match your personal contribution to your pension by up to 5%.
Employees are entitled to a 4 week sabbatical after 5 years with the company which can be amalgamated with annual leave to provide an opportunity to take time out.
Employees will receive a £500 bonus if they refer a fellow employee who successfully completes their probation period.
Working from Home
Employees will spend the majority of their time in the office but there is some scope for working from home at managerial discretion.
Client schedules permitting we can be flexible when employees start and end work.