Senior Python Developer with Data Science / Machine Learning
Job Type: Full Time (Permanent)
Salary: Dependent on Experience
Digirati are seeking a senior Python developer with experience with data science and machine learning techniques. This role will work on a range of projects in the cultural heritage sector and will include:
- Delivering research driven projects exploring machine approaches to transforming, processing and enriching data
- Provisioning backend APIs for full-stack projects with a strong user experience (UX) driven ethos. These APIs may or may not involve machine learning or content enrichment
- Acting as technical lead on small Agile interdisciplinary teams delivering a broad range of projects for clients
- Providing data science or ML expertise to other project teams within Digirati, as and when required
This role would be expected to be able to drive the technical implementation of creative, resource efficient solutions for projects centred on the aggregation, enrichment and discovery of a wide range of cultural heritage resources and other assets including, among others, electronic texts and born-digital records, archival records, rare books and manuscripts, modern printed books, photographs and artworks.
The candidate will require an understanding of machine based approaches to analysing, transforming and enriching data through deep-learning, and other methods, however this is not solely a data science role and strong general experience with delivering backend solutions to production and working within a standard Agile development team are required.
Essential Skills and experience :
- Strong understanding of a range of analytics, data science, and machine learning techniques including ability to use regressions, models and classification techniques for data analysis, clustering, and data extraction / data mining
- Ability to analyse, clean and validate data to improve data quality and successful outcomes
- Ability to select, fine-tune and/or train algorithms and models
- Understanding of data analytics and metrics to validate and improve processes
- Experience deploying data processing pipelines to production in a cloud-based environment
- Expert level proficiency in Python
- Familiarity with standard ML/data processing libraries such as PyTorch and/or Tensorflow, Scikit-learn, Pandas, etc.
- Experience with FastAPI or Django/Rest Framework or similar frameworks for provisioning REST APIs
- Knowledge of SQL and RDBMS databases (PostgreSQL, etc)
- Familiarity with one or more of the following:
- Natural Language Processing using common tools such as Spacy, NLTK, FlairNLP, etc.
- Computer vision, image classification, optical character recognition (OCR), handwriting recognition (HTR), document understanding or document layout analysis
- Transformers for natural language processing and document understanding
- Degree in relevant subject or equivalent experience
Desirable Skills and Experience :
- Experience in data visualisation and presenting data to stakeholders and non-expert users
- Experience working with UX/UI and frontend developers to build full stack applications
- Experience working with document databases / search technologies such as Elasticsearch or Solr
- Familiarity with devops, continuous integration and continuous development
- Knowledge of linked data and the semantic web: RDF/XML, JSON-LD, etc.
- Experience in the GLAM sector (galleries, libraries, archives, museums) or other cultural heritage sector organisations and familiarity with common data models and standards used in this sector
- Awareness of International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF)
Know something that’s not on the list? Mention it in your cover letter when applying. Digirati is always open to exploring new technology, championed by individuals in the company. We strive to use the best tools and practices for the job.
Candidate Attitude & Behaviours:
- Demonstrable experience with problem solving, identifying creative, efficient solutions to problems and taking these from initial concept, through to testing and production.
- Able to identify opportunities where research might help identify the solution to a problem and carry out this research where necessary
- Ability to take ownership of a problem and any associated obstacles and drive the project towards effective resolution
- Excellent interpersonal skills: this role will involve working directly with clients and senior project stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to present and share their work and the work of the team internally and with clients and other interested external parties
- Experience working as part of an Agile development team
- Able to act as the technical lead on projects and work with Product Owner, UX and user research to refine and manage project backlogs
This role can be remote, however we have offices in Glasgow and London and employees may work on site if that is their preference.
To apply please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com
Digirati’s success is down to our talented people. We are a trusted partner of various high profile clients and always strive to deliver projects in an innovative way utilising the latest practices and technologies to continually develop our team’s knowledge and experience. Our focus is on working closely with customers to push the boundaries and develop innovative products and solutions that exceed their expectations.
Digirati are committed to being an equal opportunities employer. There is a particular issue within our industry regarding gender representation, our gender balance is significantly higher than the industry average, we believe this has had a very positive impact on our overall culture.
We have a strong ethos of collaboration and continuous improvement, therefore we invest in our staff to improve skills and share knowledge throughout the organisation. We work with agile at scale, staff work in agile teams and participate in communities of practice according to their interests; this creates a dynamic open working culture that is flat in structure and empowers staff to drive their own work and development.
Research, Development & Learning (RDL)
Each individual’s RDL programme is unique and designed in collaboration with your line manager. You might spend this time doing formal certification, contributing to open source software or evaluating a new technology or mastering a framework you already know. We are extending this further to provide a scheduled day per month for the wider team to work collaboratively together on areas relevant to their skill sets and interests.
Client schedules permitting we can be flexible when employees start and end work
There is an annual bonus scheme based on personal performance and company profitability.
Digirati will match your personal contribution to your pension by up to 5%.